Bosch Security Systems, Inc., Communications Systems Division announces OMNEO media networking technology at InfoComm 2011
Orlando, FL, June 15, 2011: Bosch Security Systems, Inc., Communications Systems Division will announce OMNEO, its media networking technology, at InfoComm 2011.
OMNEO has two components: (1) an audio program transport protocol suite that offers low-latency, high-quality multichannel audio stream exchange; and (2) a robust control protocol suite that provides reliable and secure system control for pro media networks of all sizes, from small to intercontinental.
- OMNEO's program transport component is the result of a partnership between Bosch Communications Systems and Audinate Pty. OMNEO uses Audinate's Dante networking technology to provide standards-based, routable IP media transport.
- OMNEO's system control component is an open Bosch Communications Systems development descended from the Audio Engineering Society's AES-24 protocol architecture. Named OCA, for Open Control Architecture, it includes many features for flexibility, reliability, security, and compatible growth over the years.
"Until recently, industry progress in this area has been discouraging. However, new IEEE developments – the 802.1AVB protocol suite and related media transport standards 1722 and 1733 – have made major advances on one of the two fronts: program transport. Collectively known as ‘AVB,’ these accomplishments are rekindling industry optimism in universal media networking. It now seems that for the first time in history, common professional media networking standards are within reach.”
Three years ago, Bosch Communications Systems began its own work on a standards-based media networking solution. “The intent of this project was threefold,” continues Scott. “Firstly, to develop technologies which provide full interoperability of all Bosch Communications Systems network-enabled equipment; secondly, to allow Bosch Communications Systems customers to use standard, off-the-shelf Ethernet infrastructure; and thirdly, to merge the Bosch Communications Systems solution with emerging public standards such as AVB as soon as possible, allowing Bosch Communications Systems customers to enjoy fully standardized media networks in which equipment from many manufacturers interoperates smoothly.”
Bosch Communications Systems is firmly committed to using and supporting open public standards and offering fully interoperable systems.
- An open standard is one whose details are available to all without restrictions.
- A public standard is one that is maintained and supported by an accredited public standards organization.
- An interoperable system is one in which products from multiple manufacturers can operate harmoniously and with full functionality.
- OMNEO's program transport will be based on RTP, a widely adopted IP streaming protocol. Dante (and therefore Bosch Communications Systems media networks) will comply with this standard. Thus, the Bosch Communications Systems solution will be compliant with public standards, including AVB.
- Specifications of OCA, OMNEO's system control architecture, will be published in the near future, and Bosch Communications Systems will be working with industry and with public standards organizations to ensure OCA's ratification as an open public standard for pro media network control.